Recipe: Seared Curried Scallops and Creamy Leeks

Tuesday 15 December 2015




Did you know that Leeks are one of my favourite vegetables?! #lovemyleeks

Leeks are best during the colder months and are in season - I picked up these beauts from my local farm shop #shoplocal 

I love how simple, nutritious and delicious they are. I tend to use them in stews, casseroles or bolognaise but today I thought I'd try out a new recipe idea!

Creamy leeks with seared curried scallops.

This dish is quick, simple and would be ideal as a starter or a main dish - win win!

Let's get on with the show....




Firstly I heated the butter on a medium/high heat and then added leeks, water and salt and pepper to the saucepan and cooked until soft and tender.



Meanwhile I patted dry the scallops and sprinkled with curry powder.




Then I added cream and a pinch of nutmeg (perfect for Christmas!) t the leeks and cooked until the sauce thickened.



Using my griddle pan I heated the oil and seared the scallops for 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.




To serve - add the scallops on top of the leek mixture and voila! Simple dinner or starter.




Ingredients:

2tbsp butter
1/3 cup water
2 leeks chopped (I like to keep them in circles and fairly chunky)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of cream (I used double)
A pinch of nutmeg
Scallops
1/2 tbsp curry powder
1tbsp olive oil

Method:

1. Melt butter on a medium to high heat in a saucepan, add 1/3 cup of water, leeks, salt and pepper to taste and stir occasionally until soft and tender.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream and nutmeg. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
3. Meanwhile pat scallops dry and sprinkle with the curry powder (both sides) and a pinch of salt.
4. Heat oil on a medium to high heat (I used my griddle pan here). Cook scallops until golden brown brown on the outside, turn once. The centres should be opaque. No more than 5 minutes.
5. Serve on top of the leeks.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs